Decellularized Hyaline Cartilage Powder for Use in Tissue Engineering Scaffolds
The present invention provides decellularized cartilage (DCC) fragments or powder as a raw material component to be utilized for scaffolds and provides a microenvironment similar to that of native cartilage tissue. The DCC powder provides a platform technology upon which many cartilage, or even bone, tissue engineering scaffolds could be based.
Human articular cartilage has a complex, layered and avasular tri-dimensional structure. It exhibits poor healing ability due to structural and biologic characteristics, and when injured, it poses significant hurdles to repair strategies. Current cartilage treatment options can be divided into stimulation and replacement strategies, each having little long-term success. New methods of generating a more durable implant require the use of specific scaffold materials that promote cell survival and induce cell differentiation. Traditionally, cartilage tissue engineering scaffolds have utilized synthetic polymer components to form hydrogels or porous matrices.
- May be used to treat full and partial thickness cartilage defects.
- May also be used in tendon, ligament, meniscus and TMJ regenerative applications.
How it works:
Process focuses on the retention of certain proteins that will contribute to the recellularization of the tissue and the chondroinductive effects of the constructs, consequently, high levels (> 85%) of glycosaminoglycan content remains in the DCC after the decellularized process in comparison to fresh cartilage tissue
- Provides a hyaline cartilage tissue hydrogel that is water-soluble, and contains a cross-linked network of polymer chains.
- Provides a hyaline cartilage tissue paste with methacrylated hyaluronic acid that can be packed into holes, gaps or spaces
- Provides polymer microspheres and scaffolds that can be biocompatible, bioerodable and/or biodegradable.
Why it is better:
- The DCC is soluble, with little to no dsDNA remaining in the tissue after it is decellularized
- The dsDNA remaining after decellularization is tunable, depending on the desired end use
- The DCC tissue powder is biologically functional in stimulating bone marrow stem cell responses, including cell attachment, cell differentiation, tissue regeneration and tissue specific marker gene expression